MUMC’s Food Pantry provides sacks of food to persons who request aid in the church office. We are currently assisting about 45 families a month in this way. Each sack provides at least three basic meals.
Financial contributions designated for the Food Pantry are used to shop for food when necessary. They are also used to purchase grocery store gift cards in small amounts to be given occasionally to the families seeking food assistance. We order specially-printed gift cards that may not be used to purchase alcohol or tobacco.
How can you help the MUMC Food Pantry?
- Become one of the volunteers who take turns performing the weekly sorting of donated food items and sacking up foods for distribution. For more information on this opportunity, please contact the Food Pantry Coordinators, David Linkletter and Beth Watkins at 512-280-3930. David and Beth will be happy to work with you during your first turn.
- Bring non-perishable food items to the Food Pantry donation bin in the Hospitality Area. We particularly encourage you to bring the items on our shopping list below. MUMC occasionally has church-wide food drives to restock the Pantry shelves, but we depend on our members to routinely bring food donations throughout the year.
- Bring your paper to the recycling bins provided by the Eco-Faith Initiative. Money earned through this project will go to support the Food Pantry.
What items do you collect for the MUMC Food Pantry?
Below is the typical shopping list for the MUMC Food pantry.
- Peanut Butter – 18 oz. jar
- Oatmeal – 18 oz. box
- Saltine Crackers – 1 lb. box
- Canned Meat – 12 oz. total
- Dried Pinto Beans – 1 lb. bag
- Canned Soup or Chili – 2 10-oz. cans or larger
- Ramen Noodles – 1 package
- Macaroni & Cheese – 7.25 oz. pkg. or larger
- Canned Fruit – 15 oz. or larger
- Canned Green Vegetable – 15 oz. or larger
- Canned Corn – 15.25 oz.
- Rice – 1 lb package or larger
- Fideo (short vermicelli) – 7 oz. package
- Tomato Sauce – 8 oz. can or larger