- About Us
Sponsoring the 2016 Free Paper Shred
and Electronics recycling
Saturday August 6th
click here for more info.
Eco-Faith Initiative (“EFI”) had its beginnings in July, 2009, when it conducted a well-attended “brainstorming session” after a presentation by Kerry Stevens (of Bethany UMC) on Environmental Stewardship. The next month, August, EFI then prioritized its “brainstorming ideas” into 3-short term goals and one long term goal.
EFI also developed an “Action Team” to implement the important environmental stewardship ideas that were developed and to draw on individual skills and talents, and all members are active and enthusiastic.
1. Quarterly lunches and presentations on topics of interest to MUMC, co-sponsored by Manchaca United Methodist Men.
- January, 2010, lunch topic and presentation made by Tom Spencer, of Austin Area Interreligious Ministries, on AAIM and on environmental stewardship.
- April, 2010, lunch topic by Sister Marie Angele, a Franciscan nun, on theology of environmental stewardship.
- August, 2010, lunch topic by 2 expert gardening speakers on fall gardens and community gardens.
We will continue with our well-attended luncheons that follow the 11:15 am worship service.
2. EFI developed its own logo, and put it onto T-shirts.
3. EFI also joined the Interfaith Environmental Network, an Austin-based interfaith organization to share stewardship ideas and web presence.
4. The long term goal EFI has developed is to develop and “Outdoor Education Center”. One component of that goal is underway with a pilot project garden, adjacent to the Pavilion. For more information on this project, visit our EFI Community Garden Page.
5. EFI now recycles aluminum and paper on the MUMC premises, and encourages the entire congregation to do the same. EFI is also currently working with a potential Eagle Boy Scout in a project where the result is a new aluminum recycling container building.