top of page
  • MUMC 150 History Committee

The Original Building

There have been Methodists roaming the creeks and hills of the Manchaca area for many years before they organized into the Manchaca Methodist Espiscol Church. At first, the Methodists of Manchaca met in the old rock church built in the early 1870s by the settlers on the camp meeting grounds next to the banks of Onion Creek and near Live Oak Cemetery. This church, owned by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, was used by several different groups of Christians. Our church also used Manchaca School for awhile before purchasing an acre of land for $75 from August Meyer. On the spot where our current church stands, a one room wooden frame church was built “with a bell in the steeple and no screens on the windows.” It was the heart of this community until 1956 when the next brick church building replaced it.



105 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page